Sunday, September 21, 2014

Poverty In Namibia


I have not received a response from either of my initial contacts and I then chose to send an email to all of the members of a training session I attended a few years ago in early childhood. I did get a response from Anne Boudreau that is an ELC coordinator in an IB school in Japan. Unfortunately I have not yet received a response regarding this week`s issue of poverty.

Therefor I have chosen to read about poverty in Namibia off of the Unicef website.

I learned that one in three children in Namibia grow up in households that are poor. The same idea that poverty has long term impact on children, especially if poverty starts at an early age or persists over several years. These impacts include a higher risk of low birth rate and child mortality, stunting and poor educational outcomes. Poverty can impact children`s emotional and psychosocial well-being as well as increase stress and tension in the household. Poverty has long-lasting impacts on the lives and development of children and that if poverty is not addressed at an early age it will be passed on from one generation to another.

According to Unicef, the majority of poor children in Namibia live in households;

  • With young children
  • With four or more children
  • Without orphans
  • With caregivers that are married or in a consensual union
  • With one or more working adults
  • In which the female caregiver has at least secondary education
     
     

I think the above also support the fact that there are many myths and have nothing to do with the reality families in poverty live in.

United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF). (2009). The state of the world's children: Special edition (Research Report). Retrieved from http://www.unicef.org/rightsite/sowc/pdfs/SOWC_Spec%20Ed_CRC_Main%20Report_EN_090409.pdf

 

 

 

 

2 comments:

  1. As I was reading your comments I was thinking the sane thing that poverty contributes to so many issues, especially children at a young age which can cause so many other issues later own. I find this topic to be so depressing, especially when it effects young children who has no control of the situation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think poverty in this country, and many others, has to do with how much poverty the country itself is in. I chose to study Ethipoia this week and discovered that a majority of the families were also in poverty even though the parents or family member were working. I think it would help if the country was able to provide more resources to help its people to overcome poverty.

    ReplyDelete