Sunday, October 26, 2014

The last post for Issues and Trends


As the course “Issues and Trends in the Early Childhood Field” comes to an end, I have had some time to reflect upon how fortunate I am to have had such a rich educational experience throughout this course. The fact that we had the opportunity to connect with professionals worldwide and to exchange ideas and opinions is so powerful.

There are many things that I will walk away with. The issue that had a profound impact on me as a person and professional is that of poverty. I found it very interesting to see how different a meaning poverty can have all around the world. There are parts of the world where children do not have the basics such as food and shelter and other parts of the world where the lack of air conditioning or a family car means that family is poor. Poverty, however is an issue of extreme importance and continues to need our devotion and attention in order to help make a difference in the lives of as many families as possible. Another thing I have learned from all of our readings and exchanges is that diversity is not only a reality in international schools, but a big part of everyday life in schools in the US as well as in other countries. One other important idea that ready hit me is how important it is for us as professionals in the field of early childhood education to advocate for children and for what is in their best interest.

One goal for the field related to international awareness of issues and trends and the spirit of collegial relations would be to always be a learner and to continue to be curious and to want to learn more about what is going on in the field of early childhood education around the world, even when this Masters is finished. I would like to keep in touch with my international colleagues as well as to continue to read and be inspired by blogs, websites and newsletters.
Good luck with the remaining of the program!

1 comment:

  1. It has been a pleasure to have the chance to be in a class with you, because our blog assignments are very informative and interesting. Your discussion posts also helped deepen my understanding of issues and trends.I think establishing a international contact is a great idea and learning experience. I was disappointed that many of us were not able to establish a contact. I too thought learning about poverty was very eye opening. Best wishes in pursing your early childhood studies.

    ReplyDelete